Monday, September 15, 2008

The Bed That We Built

Since Labor Day, Carl and I have been working on our new bed, well our only bed. In our almost 5 years of marriage, we have never had a bed frame, just a box spring and mattress on the floor. We just never found a bed frame that we liked enough at the right price, and really were never really, truly on the search for one. Because of this, I one day got the idea of making my own headboard, as I was just itching to get our bed off the ground or more dressed up at least. This search then led to the question of a frame. My handy dandy husband came into the picture here and said hey, I'll build a frame! Carl has been dying to do some woodworking and this gave him the perfect opportunity! So, below is our CREATION (ha, ha, ha--insert crazy madman scientist laugh here). :)

Oh yes, one more thing, we know, we know, it may be the biggest bed in town, but I have always wanted a high bed and together we decided it would be nice to be able to put some nice looking storage under it if we want to. We are well aware, however, that when we are old and hoary headed we will have to cut the legs down in order to be able to get into bed. ;) Also, please let me know what you think of the bedding, I'm not sure if I'm done with it.




Click to play The Process
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

10 comments:

The Casaus House said...

Wow Jenny, very creative. I'm inspired but know my creation just wouldn't look as nice. Good job team Bodine. Hey you should title your blog "Team Bodine". :)

Jenny said...

WOw Jenny, Good job! I can't believe it's all from scratch, that's awesome!!! How proud you must all feel. We love it when we can pull off something like that too. I love the stain color... so nice!! And the headboard is beautiful! For bedding... I think I would maybe (just me) .. take the big pillows out from under the comforter (or get some additional big pillows).. and get some matching shams for them and instead of layint the pillows flat I would prop them up, kinda like this: http://www.linenlocker.com/images/96/typeclasses/productcollections/93244_full.jpg

That was just for a visual so you could see how I like to prop the pillows. Just an idea! GOOD job!! I love seeing what you make.

Jenny said...

Jenny, thanks for the feedback. I couldn't get to your site, can you post it again? It got cutoff, it looks like. Thanks!

The Browning Family said...

Wow . . . .I am so impressed. The stain is just beautiful. This is an heirloom for sure. Something the grandkids can say that Grandma and Grandpa Bodin handmade. How I would treasure something like that if it were passed down to me.
Here is a suggestion for color: Your stain is pretty dark and the fabric, linens are pretty light. I would incorporate some solid BIG pillows to go behind all the other pillows to anchor it a bit. Draw upon the pinstriping in the headboard and see if you can find a solid color to match it. Then just make 2 big pillows. This will help bring in the stain while acting as an anchor for the other pillows. Also look and see about hanging something on either side of the headboard to offer more balance - wrought iron pieces would work very well - especially in that rusted look which would again play upon the stain and bring out some of that coral color in your linens.
Hope that is helpful.

Jenny said...

Yes, thank you Charissa!! I do love the way you decorate and am just learning about this whole decorating thing myself. I will definitely try your pointers. Thanks again!

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

http://www.linenlocker.com/images/96/typeclasses/
productcollections/93244_full.jpg

If you can read all of that link, take the space out right before "productcollections" and it may work.


I was saying exactly what Charrissa is saying about some big pillows. :) I was just saying to take the BIG pillows out from UNDER the comforter, or get some other ones. Funny that we thought along the same lines! I hope the image works, it was just for a visual on the big pillows.

The Browning Family said...

I think that taking the pillows out from under the comforter like Jenny said is a good idea - although I was thinking more big square type pillows rather than rectangle like the ones you have under the comforter are. I also wanted to say that your choice in colors for the bedding is really pretty and calm feeling. Good choice.

Jenny said...

Thanks for the input ladies. I was also planning on getting some big pillows (hopefully square) to put behind the others, but have not yet found the ones I want, or any fabric to make them. :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should out some superman sheets on it. Carl would love it! Good job!!!!!